Location: Shani, Borno
Summary of work
- The engineer is responsible for supporting all activities that involve a need for engineering input, including the construction of shallow wells, the establishment or rehabilitation of irrigation systems, tree nurseries, the manufacture of machinery for briquette making and the maintenance and repair of sewing machines and groundnut milling machines.
- He/she will train the beneficiaries on the basic maintenance skills of these machines.
- The Technician/Engineer will provide technical and programmatic support covering the project locations.
- He/She will be responsible for supervising the construction works.
- Other responsibilities will include field assessments to formulate designs for new works or rehabilitations at field sites, in collaboration with sector focal points, community members and local authorities.
- In collaboration with the program director, the project manager, the nutrition coordinator and the program staff, he/she participates in the definition of intervention priorities, develops the necessary contacts and relations with the government, organizations NGOs, donors and UN agencies in the field, and contributes to strategy development and resource management in Shani LGA.
- Performs technical field assessments and produces plans and bills of quantities for construction work.
- Monitors the work of contractors for adherence to schedule, budget, quality, safety and overall compliance with contract documents.
- Reviews contract documents and assists with procurement, pre-bid conferences and evaluations.
- Coordinates construction activities with requesting sectors.
- Handles construction challenges in the field in coordination with sectors, contractors and management as required.
- Attends progress meetings, develops progress reports and makes presentations as required.
- Assists in negotiating with contractors regarding design changes, construction scopes and construction schedules.
- Develops and implements a quality audit program, monitors the contractor’s corrective actions and ensures a quality project according to plans and specifications.
- Certify work for completion.
- Monitors payment requests from contractors.
- Supports organizational security protocols and adheres to all security rules, policies and procedures; maintains responsibility for safety performance on all construction sites.
- Facilitates clearance of all designs approved by relevant ministries.
- Liaise with the Logistics and Purchasing Department to ensure that resources required for engineering work for project activities are acquired in a timely manner.
- Represent IMC at external stakeholder meetings as required in coordination with the Project Manager.
- Coordinate field activities with other IMC teams.
- Contribute to maximum visibility of the organization with the Government of Nigeria and the NGO/UN community.
- Contribute to the creation of a positive image and the overall credibility of the organization, in particular through the application of the code of conduct, values and point of view of the organization vis-à-vis internal and external actors .
- Maintain open lines of communication with all field staff and service departments and a good working atmosphere.
- Contribute to bi-weekly/monthly program reports, donor reports and proposals.
- Support the monitoring of the progress of activities, challenges encountered, lessons learned and good practices and compile data, photos and other information collected in the field.
- Communicate any information or problem to his direct and/or indirect superior concerning his task, IMC programs or security aspects.
- Compile information to ensure that, in its area of implementation, the expected result of the program is achieved.
Logistics and Administration:
- Contribute to the definition of material and tool needs concerning the program and the planning of interventions.
- Ensure the safety and good condition of all equipment supplied by IMC for the work of the project.
- Inform the project manager in case of security incidents or any security information.
- Ensure the monitoring and proper use of materials and tools used during construction work.
- Submit regular cash requests and forecasts based on business needs.
- With technical support from the Project Manager, Finance Director and HR Coordinator, ensures that IMC’s finance and HR procedures are implemented and adhered to.
- Coordinate with budget holders and finance unit to ensure adequate support to program operations under his/her responsibility.
- With the budget manager, ensure that activities and expenditures related to engineering works are regularly monitored and, if necessary, action plans with follow-up are developed in order to correct any overspending or underspending in a timely manner .
Professional skills and qualifications
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in engineering.
- Minimum of 3 years of engineering experience in the design of construction works, particularly for food security and livelihoods programming, including WFP-funded projects.
- Proficiency in common computer software packages, i.e. Word, Excel, Power point, etc.
- Ability to design, produce bills of quantities and specifications and provide effective construction supervision of multiple field construction projects.
- Ability to assess the operational effectiveness of contractors.
- Fluency in written and spoken English, including communication skills for effective reporting.
- Effective for making objective technical assessments and certifying work to be completed.
- Solid knowledge of technical drawing applications (AutoCAD) and project management applications.
- Ability to produce clear technical drawings and specifications.
- Strong initiative, flexible and able to plan and implement a work plan with minimal supervision.
- Willingness to take on challenges and work in difficult conditions.
Personal qualifications required for the position:
- Prior Shani LGA knowledge and work experience is preferred
- Able to speak local languages (i.e. Hausa, Kanakuru and Bura) of Shani LGA
- Able, willing and committed to working with people from different backgrounds.
- Contribute constructively to a work environment based on mutual respect, trust and commitment.
- Able to cope with stress and work under difficult circumstances.
Compliance and Ethics:
- Promotes and encourages a culture of compliance and ethics throughout International Medical Corps. As appropriate, maintains a clear understanding of, and adheres to, International Medical Corps and donor compliance and ethics standards. Performs work with the highest level of integrity.