Files that have a DXF (Drawing Exchange Format) extension are usually drawings or vector images. Autodesk is one of the most important industrial design platforms and has developed a software solution called AutoCAD which architects and civil engineers mainly use. Anything you create in AutoCAD, you can save it in two file formats, DXF and DWG.
In this article, we will explain how to open a DXF file in various programs and the tools that you might find useful for doing so. In addition, you will learn more about how DXF files work.
How to open a DXF file
Opening a DXF file isn’t always the easiest process. Since there can be multiple files with the same extension, you will need to make sure you know which one you have. By learning more about the file, you can find the right way to open it.
How to open a DXF file in AutoCAD
One of the best ways to import a DXF file is to use one of the Autodesk software solutions. If you’re using AutoCAD, the process is relatively straightforward:
- Open AutoCAD.
- Click the “File” menu and click “Open.”
- In the dialog box, select the DXF file type.
- Find the file you want to open.
- Click on “Open”.
How to open a DXF file in Illustrator
Adobe Illustrator is another tool that you can use to open any DXF file. This is how it works:
- Open Adobe Illustrator on your computer.
- Highlight the file and drag it into Illustrator.
- Before opening the file, a pop-up window will ask you to scale the object.
- Click on “Original file size”. You can now view and edit the file.
How to open a DXF file without AutoCAD
You can open a DXF file without Autodesk programs or with an alternative AutoCAD program. Here is a list of some of the software that works well with DXF files:
- Solid works
- Free CAD
- Adobe illustrator
How to Open a DXF File in SolidWorks
SolidWorks allows its users to import DXF and DWG files when creating a new SolidWorks drawing. Here’s how to process jobs:
- Open SolidWorks.
- Click “File” and “Open.”
- When the dialog box appears, browse for a file and click “Open”.
- This will open a DXF wizard, and there you need to click “Next” to continue the process.
- Press “Finish” to import the file and start using it.
How to open a DXF file in Inkscape
Inscape is free vector software that offers a set of tools similar to Adobe Illustrator. Since every engineer or artist can encounter a wide variety of files, it was necessary to develop tools to open and use them all in Inscape. Here’s how to open a DXF file using Inkscape:
- Upload your file and save it to a designated folder.
- Open Inscape on your computer.
- Click “File” and “Import”.
- In the dialog box, change the file type to “DFX”.
- Locate your file on your computer and click “Open”.
- In the dialog box, choose the character scale and encoding for this file and click “OK”.
- Click “File” and press “Save” to name your document and save it in a new format.
How to open a DXF file in Revit
Here is how to open a DXF file in Revit in a few simple steps:
- Open Revit.
- Click on “Insert” and “Import”.
- In the dialog box, select the DFX file type.
- Go to the folder where the file is located and select the DXF file.
- Specify the options you want.
- Click on “Open”.
How to open a DXF file on Windows
If you need to open a DXF file on Windows, the best solution is to install a simple DXF viewer. You can easily download it for free, and once the installation is complete, use it to open any DXF file you have.
How to open a DXF file on Mac
DXF can work with different platforms and concepts. If you want to use it on your Mac, you will either need to install one of the software we mentioned or an eDrawings Viewer. It is a useful tool that allows you to access specific files and open them in high resolution.
How to open a DXF file on iPhone
If you want to open a DXF file on your iPhone, you can do so through the AutoCAD mobile app. Of course, this app does not come with advanced tools like the desktop version of the program, however, it allows you to view files and add minor changes. Here is how you can install it:
- Open the Apple Store.
- Find the AutoCAD mobile app and press “Get”.
- Once the installation process is complete, you can tap the app icon and open the DXF files.
How to open a DXF file on Android
When you are on the go and need to check out essential DXF files, it can be helpful to have a viewer on your Android phone. With a DWG / DXF CAD drawing viewer, you can easily access your drawings whether they are on your tablet or Android phone.
Here’s how to open a DXF file on your Android phone:
- Open Google Play Store.
- Locate Schemata CAD Viewer DWG / DXF and click “Install”.
- Once the installation is complete, you can use it to open any DXF file you have on your phone.
How to open a DXF file in Fusion360
To open a DXF file in Fusion360, use a data panel and you shouldn’t have any problems. This is how it works:
- Open Fusion360.
- Press “Insert”, “Insert DXF” and browse for the file.
- When you locate the file you want to use, press “Download.”
What is a DXF file type?
DXF stands for Drawing Exchange Format file, and Autodesk developed it in 1982. It has become one of the universal and standard file formats for storing CAD drawing models. Many 3D modeling software solutions support this type of file.
What programs open DXF files?
Here is a list of some of the software that works well with DXF files:
• Adobe Illustrator
• Solid works
How to convert DXF to PDF?
If you want to convert your DXF file to PDF, you just need to open the file converters and insert the DXF file. Some converters work online, while others work as apps that require a download. The choice of converter depends on your preferences and how often you will be using it.
How to create a DXF file?
Any drawing you made in AutoCAD can be saved as a DXF file. Here’s how the process goes:
• Open AutoCAD and create a drawing.
• Tap “Application menu”, “Save as” and “Other formats”.
• Choose a DXF format.
• Select the folder where you want to save the file and enter a file name.
• Finally, press “Save”.
How to open FxF files?
FxF is a file extension that directly indicates which application can open the file and use it. Different programs use FxF files for a variety of data types. If you want to find the best tool to open any of these files, you will have access to its properties.
Here’s what to do if you’re using Windows:
• Right click on the file icon.
• Select “Properties”.
• Look for the file type listed under “File type”.
Here’s what you need to do if you’re using a Mac:
• Right click on the file icon.
• Press “More info”.
• Tap on “Genre” and check the file type.
What is the best free AutoCAD reader?
The AutoCAD platform doesn’t come cheap, but there are a variety of free AutoCAD readers available for anyone to view their files. Since DXF and DWG files are considered an industry standard, it is impossible to use them without a suitable reader.
Here are some of the free readers that can help you analyze and review all of your projects:
• Autodesk A360
• Autodesk DWG True View
• In shape
• Autodesk Fusion360
• Irfan view
How to open DxD files?
If you want to open a DxD file, here’s what you need to do:
• Double click on the icon, and if it does not open, go to step two.
• If you do not have a program on your computer that can open a DxD file, you will need to install a Diogenesis Extended Document. If that doesn’t work, go to step three.
• If you still cannot open the file, search for the file type, and then search the web for software that can open it.
How to open a DXF file online?
Using an online DXF and DWG viewer, you can easily download any file and view it in your browser without the need to install AutoCAD or any other expensive software.
Everything is a format
It is impossible to imagine the future of engineering and industrial design projects without AutoCAD. That’s why it’s important to know how DWG and DXF files work and what free tools you can use to create and play them.
Now that you know more about using DXF on different platforms, you can use it in a way that suits your needs. You will also be able to open your files on multiple devices to follow your projects and their development.
How often should you open DXF files on devices other than your computer? Did you encounter any problems importing them?
Share your opinion in the comments below.